Friday, February 4, 2011

BORN TO STAND OUT



Restrained and full of doubts. Ask me how my childhood days were and this would be my response. I know childhood is supposed to be the happiest stage in one’s life because you get what you want, you can fool around without embarrassing yourself, you have no responsibilities and nothing is expected from you. But mine was different, and this is why.

June 11, 1994 I was born. An angel size of a 12oz Coca-Cola soda, premature, placed in an incubator, with a 50/50 chance of survival. The joy brought by my birth suddenly turned into a not-so-pleasant situation. After a 3 week stay in the hospital, I was allowed to go home. But being a premature baby had many cons. I had a weak immune system and was so vulnerable to illnesses. But the worst one was I had Cerebral Palsy a range of disorder that affects the person’s ability to move, maintain balance and posture.

Being physically challenged, I was given nasty names, and became a laughingstock. I did nothing to defend myself. I kept quiet because I did not want any conflicts to arise. No one knew about my struggles. I did not want anyone to know. “A simple smile can hide everything.” I thought. 


Instead of fighting back or putting myself down, I did the opposite thing. I excelled in my studies and was given medals and recognition. For the first time in my life I felt proud of myself, and it affected the way I deal with people, present myself and my outlook in life. The people I love were happy, and because of that I knew I was on the right track.

By accepting who I am, I was able to see the brighter side of everything. I may not have the perfect look, perfect family, perfect life but I have things no one else have. I may have been faced with different struggles early in my life, but it made me a better person. I was born to inspire people. I was born to serve as a living testimony, that God breaks you to build you.



Acceptance is not submission; it is acknowledgement of the facts of a situation. Then deciding what you're going to do about it.


2 comments: