Saturday, February 12, 2011

DISCRIMINATION: A DISEASE THAT CRIPPLES THE SOCIETY



"If you believe that discrimination exists, it will."

Discrimination can be defined as unfavorable difference in treatment because of prejudice. Physical appearance, disabilities and attitude are some of the reasons why people get discriminated. But in some cases bullying can also be one factor.

Being physically challenged as I mentioned in my first blog post, I myself was a victim of this unfavorable difference in treatment. As a child, I was discriminated at school by some of my classmates, by kids my age, my playmates and when we fight, even by my cousins. They played games they did not want me to join in; they questioned my abilities. For them all I could do was sit and watch. It was so heartbreaking to be treated differently, I was resentful to those people. For me, they were heartless, ugly creatures whose job is to make me feel miserable, but then as time went by, my view on getting discriminated changed. I realized that if I continue to let people step on me, I would never survive in this world. I moved out of my comfort zone and joined quiz bees. One of my classmates said as I remember even said,“Grabe ka! hindi ko alam, marunong ka pala!” I also socialized more; people began to know the other side of me and at last, I gained the respect I always wanted.

Not all people are the same; some are mean while others are just. We cannot change the way they view life, how they relate to people, we cannot just change who they are. The only thing we can do is to stand up for ourselves, and prove all who judged us wrong. By doing so, they would not get the satisfaction they wanted and realize their wrong doings.



3 comments: